Meditation Retreat in Sri Lanka - Tips, Advice & Benefits
There are so many superb Meditation Retreats in Sri Lanka taking place whether you are a beginner looking for the best retreat that speaks to you, or you are looking for a more specific yoga retreat emphasizing wellness and Buddhist sound healing.
Cleanse and transform your mind on a meditation retreat in Sri Lanka amidst the wilderness by granting yourself the time and opportunity to pause, unwind and unplug from the stressors and distractions of a fast-paced society. Un-cloud your mind and let your true essence shine through as you learn to let go of ingrained patterns: fears, insecurities, attachments, desires, and illusions, which may be driving your behaviour without you even releasing it. During your meditation retreat, you will have the space to become more introspective, develop more self-love and self-compassion, enabling you to observe your behavioural patterns with curiosity and compassion, rather than reaction and judgement. Your cleansed subconscious will consequently create space for you to connect with your higher wisdom so that you may experience things as they are, as well as step into your truest, most loving essence.
So, how should you choose a meditation retreat?
Table of Contents
5 tips when choosing a Meditation Retreat in Sri Lanka
- Firstly, ask yourself what your utmost priority in this retreat is. Are you in need of a spa-like retreat to simply unwind and detox or in need of a more spiritual retreat where your body is kept moving? It is essential that you consider your truest motivation to embark on this journey so that you may best support your decision in your choice of retreat. It would be disappointing to fly across the world in the hope of participating in an intensive yoga retreat, only to find you have unknowingly enrolled in a gentle yin yoga course.
- Consider the location and season you wish to go to. Which country? If you are looking for Ayurvedic healing, then Sri Lanka is the place for you. Do you find the tropical monsoon rain calming or do you prefer boundless sunshine? It is important to feel comfortable in your environment when going through such depths of emotional exploration and transformation.
- Budget is inevitably a necessary factor to consider early on. You do not need to spend thousands to have a wonderful retreat experience. It all depends on the location and type of retreat you choose. Tips to make a retreat cheaper:
- Buy flights early
- Travel during the low season
- Consider sharing accommodation with a friend
- Surf the web and explore all the affordable destinations
- Ask yourself whether you wish to embark on this journey alone or with a friend/partner as mentioned, going with someone can make accommodation cheaper. A retreat can also be a beautiful, memorable experience worth sharing with a loved one. However, drawbacks may arise such as the potential need to compromise to find a retreat suited to you both. It may also be harder for you to make friends with the other people on the retreat since you may feel tied to your companion. The possibility for you and your companion to bond can also be a positive aspect of the retreat.
- Know your retreat leaders. Find out who your retreat leaders could be and whether their areas of focus match the aspects you wish to flourish or grow in. Reach out to the teachers on social media and get a feel of who they are through your conversations. Follow your intuition from then on about whether they would be the right teacher for you. Expectations for a meditation retreat It is wisest to let go of expectations so that you are not disappointed. Open your heart to new experiences. Some days, you may feel more vulnerable than others. Be understanding of your emotions and expect less from yourself. Be patient, kind and compassionate with yourself. You are going to experience difficult days. It is important to be kind to yourself during the retreat. Acceptance of all emotions is an element of peace.
Expectations of a Sri Lankan Meditation retreat
As with everything, it is always best to go in with no expectations, but it is of course natural to be curious about what lies ahead during your Meditation retreat.
Meditation is a habitual, daily process of training your mind to focus and redirect your thoughts in a positive way. The practise of meditation is gaining wider popularity and awareness due to our busy, stressful world as many people discover the massive health benefits of meditation. This practice can be used to increase awareness of yourself and your surroundings, reduce stress and develop concentration. It can also be used to develop other beneficial habits, positive mindsets, feelings, self-discipline, healthy sleep patterns and increased pain tolerance.
When we meditate, we come to understand our mind and its habitual thoughts, feelings, and reactions. We can often find that there are ingrained patterns, fears, insecurities, attachments, and desires all of which are illusions that can drive our behaviour unconsciously. The more we recognize and observe these patterns with curiosity and compassion the more they fade, creating space for us to connect with a higher place of wisdom rather than negative or unhelpful reactions. This practice cuts through a lifetime build-up of deep subconscious fears, resistances and separation that can often trick the mind – here we can begin to shine through and perceive things for what they truly are.
4 Things you can Expect on a Meditation Retreat at Sen Wellness
A Day of Silence
Pranayama (Breathwork) Techniques
Top 3 Benefits of a Meditation Retreat
1. Step outside of your comfort zone as you face the challenges we often neglect in our everyday lives: fears, insecurities, and unhealed scars. This is the time to let them go and set yourself free.
2. Experience an ultimate sense of peace, silence, and tranquillity. One that you will learn to carry on with you in your daily routine after the retreat.
3. Feel liberated from the responsibilities of cooking, cleaning, or planning. All of which are taken care of by us. You are granted the space to focus on yourself – mind, body, and soul.
Sen Wellness Sanctuary - Award-Winning Meditation Retreat Centre in Sri Lanka
Sen Wellness Sanctuary is an Award-Winning Meditation Retreat Centre in Sri Lanka all year round. The benefits of your stay are that we incorporate all modalities of holistic health care into your retreat. During your stay, you can enjoy experienced yoga teachers who teach all forms of yoga including yin yoga, meditation, sound healing, Ayurvedic treatments, massage, and weight-loss detox.
During our quarter-annual Signature retreats held by our founder Sam Kankanamge, we give emphasis to Meditation by giving space for silence, breathing techniques and guided meditation throughout the retreat program.
Whether you are new to meditation or not, our Bespoke Retreats run all year round and hold space for your emotional, physical, spiritual, and mental needs. We invite you to a weekly meditation and Sound Healing session with our Buddhist Monk, who can also assist you with your personal growth and help you discover ways in which you can integrate Buddhist meditation into your everyday life.
The Final Word
Our holistic approach to meditation at Sen Wellness is intended to replenish and nourish every aspect of your soul existence and help you break down your internal boundaries to find inner acceptance, peace, and connection. We have taken great consideration in creating a safe, held space for you to explore a deeper part of yourself alongside a team of specialists who can guide you through these Meditation practices softly and intuitively.
With so many powerful ways to enhance your connection to meditation, our approach allows you to decide which one works best for you, whether its Silent Meditation, Sound Healing, Breathwork or Nature Immersion, The Sanctuary can provide you with everything you can expect to find at a Meditation retreat in Sri Lanka.