Long Covid Treatment
Our 12-day Long Covid Retreat Recovery Programme goes beyond a traditional medical experience. Our goal is to go further, to address the trauma and stress associated with COVID-19 and social isolation. Not merely addressing physical symptoms, our intention is also to provide you with emotional support and to introduce long-term lifestyle changes upon returning from the programme.
Rooted in ancient Ayurvedic practices, the main focus of the treatment will be Panchakarma, an ancient healing modality that is rooted in Ayurvedic principles and science. Panchakarma is the Sanskrit term that means ‘five actions’ or ‘five treatments’. It is a system that is used to balance Tridosha, rid the body of toxins, and beyond. Normally, the body can efficiently process and remove these waste materials, including the vitiated doshas. However, due to one’s bad habits, repeated dietary indiscretions or poor exercise patterns, the metabolic system and hormones can become disorganised. This can lead to the accumulation and spread of toxins and create diseases (This is called “AMA”).
The radical elimination that takes place during Panchakarma works as an effective method of healing for those suffering from Long Covid. The treatments make way for the release of toxins and micro-clotting and reduce inflammation on both micro and macro levels and much more. Panchakarma acts as a trigger for the autonomic nervous system to reset. During this phase, your nervous system will exit from a state of “fight or flight” and restore your nervous system to a state of equilibrium.
In collaboration with our research partners at the University of Humboldt in Berlin, we have created a bespoke mindfulness program that will be used as a complementary modality to your healing. By the end of this personalised 12-day programme set in idyllic surroundings, your mind and body will feel balanced and restored.
Table of Contents
Long Covid 12-day Recovery Programme
Day 1-3: Preparatory Procedure (Purva Karma)
When guests arrive at the Sanctuary, they will undergo an in-depth consultation with our resident Ayurvedic doctor. The first stage, Purvakarma, is the preparatory process. During this stage, treatments include physical oil treatment, herbal fermentation and herbal steam. These treatments target areas including the neck, shoulder, abdomen and organ systems. This combination of modalities fosters drainage and encourages toxin release from internal organ systems, specifically the liver, gallbladder, and intestinal tissues.
Day 4-7: Operative Procedure (Pradana Karma)
During these days you will be guided through Pradhan Karma consisting of five-fold measures:
- Vamana: Vamana means to induce vomiting. Acting as a bio-cleansing measure, this stage encourages accumulated toxins in the upper gastrointestinal tract to release. Focusing on the Kapha Dosha.
- Virechana: In this procedure elimination through the anal route takes place. Focusing on the Pitta Dosha.
- Nasya: Medicine is administered through the nostrils. Nasya is indicated to relieve dosha of the head and neck causing aggravation.
- Vasthi: In this procedure, medicines are suspended through the rectum or genitourinary tract. This is the most important and remedial procedure.
- Raktamokshana: This therapy is an effective blood purification therapy, in which carefully controlled quantities of impure blood are removed to neutralise accumulated toxins.
Day 8-10: Post-Operative Procedure (Pashchath Karma)
The final stage of Panchakarma is focused on rehabilitation and rest. During this time you will rest and allow your body to enter a new state of health. Diet, rest, rejuvenation therapy and lifestyle modifications are prescribed to prevent the recurrence of Covid.
Day 10-12: Reflective Process
The final days of your journey will be characterised by a reflective process that seeks to answer the question above. During this time we will emphasise emotion and mental wellbeing, focusing on lifestyle changes and reflecting on a much deeper understanding of the Covid experience.
Sen’s experience in treating Long Covid patients for the last 18 months revealed an immense amount of emotional trauma and stress due to isolation. The programme is designed to not only address physical symptoms but dive into emotional symptoms and offer the necessary support and tools to continue on a new path of well-being.
More Benefits of Panchakarma
- It removes the excess doshas and corrects the imbalance of Tridosha.
- It cleans the body of toxic materials left by disease, poor nutrition, and environmental toxins.
- It maintains mental and physical hygiene and balance.
- Panchakarma eliminates toxins from your body and mind
- It improves your health and wellness
- It strengthens your immune system
- Panchakarma slows down your ageing process
- It enhances your strength, energy, and mental clarity
- It helps you to relax deeply
- Panchakarma cleanses your body entirely
- It opens blocked channels in the body.
- It improves the strength of your digestive juices.
- Panchakarma rejuvenates your tissues and helps you lose weight.
Complementary Healing Modalities
- 1-1 Yoga and Meditation: These practices will focus on physical + mental strength and clarity. They will also build confidence and trust themselves.
- 1-1 with our Resident Buddhist Priest: This is an opportunity for those who seek to deepen their spiritual practice.
- 1-1 with our Resident Acupuncturist: Harnessing the power of Chinese Medicine, our resident acupuncturist will conduct personalised sessions through your programme.
- Osteopathy: Energy medicine. This treatment will focus on balancing the autonomic nervous system and neutralising sympathetic tone. Osteopathy allows the release of stress, inflammation, and brain fog.
- Breath Work with our Breath Practitioner: An effective way of improving respiratory function. Our Breath Practitioner will teach our guests skills in breathwork to help reset the sympathetic and parasympathetic tone.
- Natural Elements: The Sanctuary is set in an incredibly healing setting in the middle of a nature reserve and between a mangrove forest. Both Rekawa Beach and the lagoon where our Sanctuary sits offer natural healing elements that are rarely found in today’s world.
The Final Word
Our Long Covid Retreat Recovery Programme goes beyond a traditional medical experience. Much care has been forethought into the design of this programme to give you the necessary tools to continue on a new path of well-being. For more information on our Long Covid Recovery Programme, you can get in touch at 020 7486 3373 or email us at [email protected].